This week, the school held a curriculum night for parents to stop in for a brief period of time and learn about what is taking place inside the classroom. At that meeting, a brochure about third grade and a powerpoint handout was distributed. If you did not come to the meeting, your child should have brought the papers home to you on Friday.
One of the items I stressed at the meeting was the need for the children to be fluent with their addition and subtraction facts. So many of the children want to work on multiplication facts, yet they are still struggling to add and subtract correctly. In a few short weeks, we will take our first quarter test. The kids do not have to worry about multiplication on this test, but they will have many addition and subtraction problems. Please practice facts nightly with your child. I do not want to waste class time and paper to do daily practice with math facts. Draw pictures, count fingers and toes, or use tallies! I am not picky about how you get your answer...just get the right one! I promise, 1+0 does not equal 0+2!
The RUNS math strategies are posted on the classroom website!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.